Atari800MacX now supports Synchronized Sound, a Graphical Debugger, VAPI and PRO images, Copy and Paste from the emulator, Configuration files, and a new Hard Disk emulation scheme. There have been other enhancments and bug fixes as well, see below.
If you enjoy it, please Donate through this link.
This is the home page of the Macintosh OS X Port of David Firth's Fantastic Atari 800 Emulator. I have ported the SDL version of the Atrari800 emulator to Mac OS X, and added a full native Cocoa interface, including Preferences, Menus, File Associations, Help and more. It does not require libSDL to be installed separately, but includes it within the application package. It does however require ROM image files from the original Atari systems, which are not included here. Special Thanks go to Jacek Poplawski for writing the general SDL port, and the entire libSDL team that has made this port possible. (As well as to the whole Atari800 team for their invaluable support and suggestions. Please visit their website at http://atari800.sourceforge.net for full info on their emulator core.) Many thanks to Daniel Noguerol for his hard work on the original and ported versions of the R: driver. Also thanks to Al Yarusso at AtariAge for mirroring the binary and source, and MacUpdate for mirroring the binary. And of course Dan and the rest of you who have sent in invaluable bug and testing reports.
Why did I write another Atari emulator for the Mac? Derek Ledbetter has a good port of Atari800 for OS9 and Carbon on OS X. However, I really wanted an emulator that could keep up with all of the features of the Atari800 emulator, including full cartridge and machine support, hard drives, etc. In addition, I wanted a full screen mode in addition to the windowed mode of Derek's port. Also, Derek's port is dependent on Code Warrior™, and I wanted an emulator that could be built with Apple's great free tools provided with MacOS X. Project Builder does not build Carbon executables for use on OS 9, so therefore there isn't an OS9 version.
- 12-29-2011 Version 4.6.0 Released.
- 08-17-2011 Version 4.5.0 Released.
- 05-19-2011 Version 4.4.0 Released.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.6.0):
- Note, this may be the last release supporting PPC, 10.4, and possibly 10.5. If you have any bugs you need fixed or new features you feel you have to have for these older versions, please email me and I will consider them.
- Fixed issues with arrow keys in full screen menu and some of the Atari arrow key mappings.
- Fixed issues with assigning tab, return, and delete as joystick keys when using international key mappings.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.5.0):
- Added ability to change sound volume in the application through the sound menu or key combos
- Fixed issues with some TAB and ESC not being able to be entered in the emulator as well as some international key sequences.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.4.0):
- Added support for 512 byte sector SpartaDos X ATR disk images.
- Fixed bug where erroneously long frame sleeps caused emulator to lock up.
- Fixed issue with window miniaturization buttons.
- Fixed issues with some special characters not being able to be entered in the emulator as well as some international key sequences.
- Fixed issue with super/subscript modes in Epson Printer emulation.
- Fixed issue with R: network emulation and incoming connections, BBS Software will now work.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.3.0):
- Added new synchronized sound support, which increases sound accuracy, removes noise from some games, and allows things such as the WoofWoof demo to work which did not work in older versions. The Hi-Fi audio is not selected all the time, but the user is now able to selected between 16 bit and 8 bit sound, with 16 being the default on Intel machines, and only 8 bit sound is available on PPC machines.
- Now being built with Snow Leopard, therfore OSX 10.3.9 is no longer supported.
- Fixed issue SpartaDos X piggyback cartridges which was introduced in version 4.0
- FFixed issue with Cmd-Option shortcuts for window resizing, etc.
- FAdded fix from Atari800 core emulator for mouse emulation handling.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.2.0):
- Added a Graphical Debugger. For a full list of debugger features see the manual or built in help.
- Fixed issue with Cmd-key menu shortcuts when using International keyboard mapping.
- Reverted to Atari800 CVS code for PRO disk image handling, as it handles some images mine would not.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.1.0):
- Added ability to change definition of Macintosh Arrow keys between one in Ctrl+Atari arrow keys, Atari arrow keys only, or F1-F4 function keys.
- Fixed issue with erroneous CapsLock keystrokes being signaled to emulator.
- Correct handling of Shift-Ctrl-0 through Shift-Ctrl-9 and other Shift-Ctrl keystrokes by emulator.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.0.1):
- Fixed monitor history command.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 4.0.0):
- Added support of VAPI copy-protected disk images. This does not yet enable all images, but perhaps 90%. If the VAPI dll source is ever released, this number may be increased. The current images from www.atarimania.com which are known not to work are: * Alternate Reality: The City
- Added new D: patch, which provides an alternative to the H: hard drive emualtion. This sets up D5:-D8: to access hard drive directories one and two, with or without line feed translation. This allows the Macintosh hard drive direcories to be accessed by programs which do not recognize the H: device fully, such as MyDos and Action!.
- Added multiple preference configurations, allowing you to set up multiple machine configurations, and load them by opening a .a8c file.
- Added ability to paste text from the Macintosh to the Atari. The pasted text is input as keystrokes to the emulator, and should be usable in most programs.
- Added ability to copy text from the Atari to the Macintosh. The copied text can be selected using Select All, or by using the Mouse to define a selection rectangle on the screen. It works in normal video or XEP80 modes, but is not available in full screen mode, or if the Mouse is being used for Mouse Controller emulation.
- Added emulation of Atari 1200XL Function keys. You can press the Atari F1 by pressing Option-F1 in the emulator, along with optionally shift and or control. F2-F4 work the same way.
- Added alternatives for the Atari keys mapped to the Macintosh Insert/Delete/Home/End/PageUp/PageDown keys as those keys are not present on some new Macintosh keyboards.
- Added ability to use multiple analog joysticks on the same gamepad as multiple Atari joysticks.
- Added the following features from version 2.1 of Atari800 Core Emulator * Added Axlon and Mosaic RAM expansions for Atari 400/800
* Attack at EP CYG 4
* Ballblazer Activision (UK)
* Jenny of the Prairie
* Mercenary - Escape from Targ _ Novagen Software
* Mr. Do!
* Music Studio (The)
* Rescue on Fractalus! _ Activision (UK)
* Spy vs Spy
* Targets - A Number Game
* Added emulation of MIO and Black Box
* Added support of .PRO copy-protected disk images
* Implemented tape loading with variable bitrates
* Implemented cassette writing via hardware registers
* Added emulation of CX85 numeric keyboard
* R: device can be serial-only or network-only (selectable)
- Fixed caps lock with International Key Mapping on.
- Fixed a bug with turning joystick emulation on and off which was causing a stuck joystick.
- Fixed a bug where one analog joystick was not selectable on Gamepad 2.
- The following fixes were added from version 2.10 of Atari800: * Fix for "Ilusia" demo
* Better GTIA bug mode emulation
* Fixed POKEY registers: ALLPOT, IRQEN and STIMER
* Various Atari5200 fixes
* Fixed Atrax cartridge bank switching
* Major source code cleanup, compiles with -pedantic etc.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 3.9.1):
- Fixed State Save with XEP80. State save was inadvertantly left out of the 3.9.0 XEP80 source.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 3.9.0):
- Fixed issue with 8Mbit Flash Cartridge images not working.
- Fixed issue with XEP80 Emulation not working with the new SpartaDos cartrdiges
- Fixed issue when Joystick emulation was turned off with control menu, joystick trigger was always reported as pressed.
- Fixed issue with Right keyboard Meta keys not being recognized on newer Macs. This replaces the bad fix which was issued with version 3.8.0
- MacOSX 10.2 is no longer supported, as I am now using 10.5 and Xcode 3.1, and they no longer support building for 10.2
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 3.8.1):
- Fixed keyboard issue which was introduced in 3.8.0 in attempt to fix another bug. Bad fix has been removed to be redone at a later date.
- Fixed issue with built in help, some images were not displaying.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 3.8.0):
- Added emulation of the XEP80 80 Column Display Adapater.
- Fixed issue with monitor not displaying certain ASCII characters correctly in memory dumps.
- Fixed issue with Right keyboard Meta keys not being recognized on newer Macs.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 3.7.0):
- Added option to not mute sound when emulator is not the active program.
- Added the ability to swap disks between any two drives by holding the option key while dragging a disk from one drive to another.
- Added the ability to swap two disks from the drive management panel, and added keyboard shortcuts to the drive managment panel. See help pages for operaton.
- Updated to version 1.2.12 of libSDL. See joystick calbration bug fixed below.
- Fixed issue with joystick calibration by upgrading libSDL library. It is no longer necessary to move the joysticks in all cardinal directions before use to have them work correctly.
- Fixed issue with Stero Sound option not being saved.
- Fixed issue with Main windows not having focus when starting from the command line.
- Fixed working directory issue when starting from the command line.
- Fixed bug with Frame Skip preference not being displayed correctly.
- Fixed bug with Real Time clock emulation, which has not been working in last several versions.
New Features (in version 3.6.0):
- Added support for a second cartridge (piggyback) when the first cartridge is a SpartaDos X cartridge.
New Features/Bug Fixes (in version 3.5.0):
- Added support for the new SpartDos X 128K Cartridge.
- Added menu to the Control Menu to allow the user to control the artifacting mode.
- Allow gamepads with 3 joysticks of the same type to be used (Gravis Eliminator Aftershock is an example).
- Fixed issue with "new" artifacting in certain games, such as SCRAM.
- Fixed issue where Artifacting mode was not taking effect until program
was restarted (After being set in Media Status Window).
Features (version 0.2.1 and up):
- Full functionality of Atari800 Release 1.3.2 SDL version, including full screen and joystick support.
- Addition of other Atari800 core features not supported by SDL version.
- Full Macintosh OS X Cocoa Interface, including Preferences, Menus, File Associations, Help and more.
- libSDL included in application package.
- Double/Triple/Quadruple Size mode, for efficient scaling in Windowed modes.
- Full Screen mode.
- To many others to mention here, see online help in emulator for full documentation..
- Feature enhancements and new features per user suggestions. Please let me know what you'd like to see.